Wednesday, August 22, 2012

     So, last week, after being broke all summer, I was finally lucky enough to land a temp job from an ad on Craigslist.

It's a 2-3 hour bus-train-bus commute, but to me, the adventure (and the resulting cash) is worth it. And, at least it's respectable work, which is a pretty good thing considering the amount of scams/sleazy offers for females on Craiglist.

One of the neat things about this job is that it takes me to a rather interesting yet safe neighbourhood, so I've been thinking that maybe it's worth blogging about. I don't intend to just have it be about my current job though, eventually I'll post about my next job, school life, and just random hobbies and photography.

I wasn't really sure what to name this blog. My first thought was "Trail Mix" but that's been taken many times over. Then I thought of "The Crayon Box", "From Crayons to Perfume", but those are already taken as well. So, readers, if you have any other good ideas for blog names, feel free to post them in the comments. 

My first day on the job, I went to meet my new boss at a N. Seattle cafe. Perhaps the most difficult thing about this was finding the place! As usual, I relied on Google Maps, which before had never failed me, but this time it was a little confusing regarding the buses to take. It provided more of a rough guideline this time, so I ended up being nearly 2 hours late! 

Luckily, I was still able to get the interview, and now I go from door-to-door in the North Seattle suburbs with flyers from AV Painting. It's a small business started by a guy not much older than myself, and I pretty much get to choose which days I work, it's fairly flexible. I get a bonus from every lead that pans out. It's not always easy, and the commute is huge, but getting leads is rewarding and luckily I enjoy the sightseeing and panoramic views from the train :) 

My very first lead that day was from a lady who wanted her laundry room painted.

To give you an idea of the type of community I'm traveling to, they have cafes, but so far it seems there's not a BK, McD's, or Church's chicken/KFC in sight. The farthest they go with fast food is Subway. Pros: It's classy and encourages better eating. Cons: Lunch/snack costs really add up!

This is a pic from an actual street there. Yup, it's that kind of neighborhood...

   

1 comment:

  1. it's always nice for me to know more about u & ur life... <3

    ReplyDelete

Featured here? Lemme know! Rant or rave? Helpful suggestions? Just want to comment? Go for it!